Monday 7 October 2013

Baking Sunday

Hello Bloggers, hope you've all had a lovely week!



Today, Sunday the 6th, marks my first week of being in Manchester.
This is mad - I feel like I've been here soo much longer that just one week. I know this usually means you're not enjoying yourself so time goes by really slowly... quite the opposite! I think it's because I feel so at home here and like I've got a routine and rhythm that that's why I can't possibly believe it's only been a week. I am absolutely LOVING city life, I had missed it so much! Where my family live in Spain is an absolutely gorgeous little village called Benaojan, about 15 minutes ride from Ronda. I adore living there, but I do love coming back to busy, lively city life. There's always something going on. For example, I'm sure if you're into fashion and clothes you know that this coming Thursday it is Vogue's Fashion Night Out here in Manchester! It is the first time they've ever hosted it outside London so I feel so lucky to be in Manchester. I am so so excited for it. And, to top it all off, my best friend Natalie who is studying fashion marketing is coming up from Southampton for it... need to plan an outfit ASAP!

BACK TO THE POST: After today, I think Sundays are going to be one of the days I look forward to the most during the week due to two things.... BAKING SUNDAY AND DOWNTON ABBEY.

Carmy (my sister) and her lovely friend Camilla have an arrangement since last year where they do their weekly "Baking Sunday" and create a delicious cakes, biscuits, sponges etc. Camilla is quite the baking/cooking goddess and today I found out Prue Leith and her book "Leith's Cookery Bible" really is, THE cookery bible. No ifs no buts. At one point we had a bit of a wobbly with our sponge and Camilla hilariously said "oh god let's consult Prue for mixture mistakes" (yes, they are on a first time basis.)

So today was my first Baking Sunday experience and oh boy was it a roaring success.

Todays aim: Simple yet ridiculously delicious lemon sponge, lemon curd middle, lemon icing and to top it all of... you know it... lemon rind.

Recipe for Lemon Victoria Sponge:

Oil for greasing
170g butter
170g caster sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
3 eggs
170g self raising flour

Oven 180°C/ 350°F / Gas Mark 4
Prepare 2 x 20cm/8in sandwich tins

1. Cream butter, when soft add the sugar and zest.
2. Beat until pale and fluffy
3. Beat eggs in seperate bowl
4. Then beat into butter mixture gradually. 
5. Fold in flour using a metal spoon.
6. Add a little water to dropping consistency (this means the mix drops fairly easily of the spoon in 'lumps' when raised above bowl).
7. Divide the mixture between tins and smooth the top.
8. Place the tins in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes or until well risen and golden.



Don't you think this is the perfect kitchen/wall paper for baking? So unbelievably adorable. Feels like you've stepped back 50 years in time...




ANDDD... TO WORK!  






Our question of the day.... why does anyone cook the cake mix? It tastes so much nicer than when it's cooked. Don't get me wrong, a good piece of cake hits the spot, but cake mix... I think it also probably tastes nicer because you only get a few scrapes of the bowl with your finger and so you're always left wanting more.




Hurray! They're out and perfectly cooked- Now all you have to do is wait for them to cool down..... These 3 minutes seem to pass so slowly. I get very impatient at this point....



Step 1 - putting the two sides of the sponge together with lemon curd.



Step 2 - make the icing sugar and pour it on top as you wish... doesn't this look like an M&S advert?




    
Step 3- And finally, sprinkle on the orange rind. Now all you have to do is put the kettle on, make yourself a tea, and enjoyyyyy.



Literally took us 35/40 minutes max to make in total - so easy and such a lovely thing to do with a friend... do you guys like to bake?


Lots of love,

Rosanna


2 comments:

  1. Great photos, I really want cake now..! xo

    theglamaddict.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loooks yummi! :)

    Mariana xx
    fashionforelephants.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete