Saturday 14 September 2013

The InterRail Experience

So I figured that before I go on to document what's happening now, I want/need to document what's happened in my Summer which is slowly but surely coming to a close. More specifically, the incredible adventure (there really is no other word to describe it) that was InterRail. (If I attempted to blog about all the amazing things I've done this Summer it would be endless... probably the longest Summer I will ever have!).

I went InterRailing from the 26th of June to the 11th of July(total 22 glorious days) with 3 of my closest friends. Really couldn't have asked for better travelling companions. As we entered our second year of sixth form, our last school year, we all as a year group and as groups of friends began talking about where we would go as a post exam celebratory trip. As expected, nobody wanted to do the same thing. Some wanted to go to the gorgeous Greek Islands to party, others wanted a much more cultural experience in one of Europe's capitals, some for 1 week, others 3, others simply a couple of days due to prior arrangements. Very quickly my best friends and I realised we wanted to do more than just one place, cheaply, and for around 2/3 weeks as this Summer was going to be epically long and had to be taken advantage of. Interesting. A 3 week holiday where minimal amount of money would be spent while visiting lots of places.... it seemed almost an impossible quest.... UNTIL, the word "InterRail" popped up, and from then on, there was no turning back.

I can't recommend it enough - it really is as easy as it sounds. You pay one price for a ticket which gives you unlimited access to travel around Europe for one, two or three weeks ; hopping on and off the trains as you choose. One day we had dinner in Spain, breakfast in Paris and lunch in Brussels... pretty cool huh? AND - there are so many cheap and cheerful hostels all around Europe that it really can be a low budget holiday. Trust me.

So here I leave you with my favourite 10 photos from the trip. I will at some point do more specific posts on just one city at a time... fell in love with so many! (we did 11 in total!!!!)

I think far too many people forget the amazing countries there are IN Europe when planning holidays; wanting to immediately leave to go somewhere more exotic...  I hope these make you see this isn't the case, and want explore the countless beautiful cities Europe has to offer.




1. Our first over night train from Málaga to Paris. An epic 15 hours long....!! Luckily, I can sleep just about anywhere so I slept like a dream! Loved the experience. I know the thought of sleeping in a chair is a bit horrific but I assure you they are a lot comfier than they look. We even got a free overnight pack... water, a mini toothbrush and toothpaste, eye mask, cushion, blanket AND a magazine. What more could you want??




2. So from Paris we were supposed to go straight to Amsterdam... but, when we got there, there was no direct train there available that day(all part of the adventure!!) so we made a one night pit stop in Brussels. OH MEE GOD. I think the fact I wasn't expecting to go AT ALL made it even more magical for me. IT IS MIND BLOWINGLY-BEAUTIFUL (may or maaay not have cried of happiness when I got to the main square.....in my defence I was very tired, overwhelmed and was no way expecting it!) as well as super cool, modern, cultural as you like and the nicest, friendliest people. Big thumbs up to Brussels (and the waffles... honestly, don't get me going on them - new love affair). 


3. Finally got to Amsterdam after 3 days travelling. Needless to say we had a lot of fun, met some awesome people and loved exploring the city. I think "mad" is the best way to describe it. Just, mad. Ate enough food in one afternoon to feed a small army. Again, bloody waffles. With Nutella, and strawberries... how could I say no??
I love this picture as it shows how EVERYONE in Amsterdam has a bike, even the littlest of people. I was freaked at the amount of bikes there were EVERYWHERE and how when we used the tube it was actually kinda spooky as there was not another soul there. Talk about an eco-friendly city!


4. Next stop, Germany, Berlin. I'm going to be honest - I really liked the city, so much history in it which I really enjoyed as I could really relate to it after 2 years of studying IB history, as well as having a really nice feel to it, with the widest range of people ever. However, I have to say I was a little disappointed by it, perhaps because it has been bigged up so much by so many people as being the coolest city in Europe at the moment. After visiting so many, I beg to differ. Don't get me wrong, would love to go back and visit it for more than 3 days, perhaps this time being shown around by a true local who knows the "real" Berlin. 
This picture was taken at our first dinner at a delightful and delicious Lebanese restaurant. I've never eaten Lebanese and I was pleasantly surprised at the yummyness of it all. Absolutely loved the candles and flowers around us, byword of pretty.


5. Next stop was actually Munich, but literally for not even 24 hours, as we solely went because we had bought tickets to see our favourite artist, Frank Ocean, in concert at the coolest venue ever

This photograph above was taken in gorgeous Prague. L-o-v-e-d Prague and am definitely going again. What an interesting city, again, I think the fact I wasn't expecting a lot from it and it isn't over promoted like Berlin for example, made it more special for me. We managed to find an amazing "free tours" company which was the best thing ever. The guys who run it work off the tips they get at the end of the tour and they are SO professional, polite and informative. Definitely try to go to one if you are ever there. The tours tend to begin by the famous clock in the main square. Also, in terms of low budget holidays, PRAGUE IS THE BEST. I spent 20 euros in 3 days 2 nights -  accommodation in an ace hostel (paying 2,50 a night, which included free access to pool, sauna and Jacuzzi... at this stage we did just consider dropping the whole InterRail idea and just staying in this hostel and living here permanently), snacks, food out every meal, drinks, and even some other extras. How? HOW? If you haven't been before - go go go!


6. Delightful Vienna, what an elegant city. We spent two days here and jam-packed everything we could into our stay... the churches are insaneeeeeeeely beautiful. Honestly, worth the visit just to see these amazing places, which are real works of art. I also adored the architecture, which was very different to any other city I've ever visited. All the buildings were very tall and grand so you never felt claustrophobic or constrained like you do in some hectic cities, quite the opposite. Class and elegance oozed out of this city; to the point where even the smallest corner shop or small store was gorgeously decorated, both inside and out. In terms of aesthetics, Vienna is definitely up there with one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited. No doubt.


7. Next stop........ ITALY. Our original plan was to go to Croatia for a couple of days and chill out on their idyllic beaches, but in the end we realized we were going to be travelling longer than actually visiting the place which was just absurd. Plus, all 4 of us were super excited about Italy, and actually, the idea of spending a week in JUST Italy seemed like a pretty brilliant idea to us. Inspired in fact. Some things happen for a reason! So it was settled... Italy, the land of pizza, pasta, vespas and wonderful cities was our next destination.

First stop; Venice. Oh Venice... Venice, Venice, Venice. I really have no words. It is enough to say that it is a city I have dreamt about visiting since I was a little girl. I remember seeing a photo of it for the first time when I was about 6 and asking my mum how it was possible for this place to exist!!! (yes I cried at the top of the Rialto Bridge, again. I'm making myself sound like some emotional wreck but please remember I had just spent months and months locked up in my room/house studying for my finals...). Everyone must visit Venice at some point in their lives. You just must. The best piece of advice a local gave to us upon arrival was "get lost in Venice, you don't know the real Venice until yo get horrifically lost".


8. Florence... what a great city. What I really loved about it was the fact it was so easy to walk around; you could see all the main sights without having to use any transport, all by foot, admiring the simply incredible architecture while eating your 3rd gelato of the day. Bliss. For me, pretty much as soon as I arrive to a new place, I can tell wether it has magic or not, and Florence definitely had it. I was walking around in a daze for most of the trip, soaking it all in. 
If you haven't visited Florence(because if you have you MUST know what this photo is of) the photo shows the delightful "Ponte Vecchio". Have you ever seen anything cuter in your whole entire life?


9. Roma... how could we visit Italy and not visit the great, historical, majestic city that is Rome? Upon arrival, it was a bit mental, especially having just spent some magical days in Venice and Florence, both relatively small cities. We hadn't quite taken into account how ENORMOUS Rome was. I wouldn't change going for the world, it was probably the city we laughed most in, mostly due to our newly created game... getting one another to ask other tourists right next to the Colosseum, "where is the Colosseum?". Sounds very mature I know, but honestly, give it a try and don't tell me you didn't laugh. Or at least smile. Back the point, I would still go if I went back in time, but I have to say, the enormity of it was a little overwhelming, and it made me realise how much I loved the smaller cities we had visited and felt like we had really got to know. I think you'd need weeks(if not years) to really feel you got to know Rome. 



10. And finally, what a better city to finish off on than beautiful Paris. If I had to choose the most magical place I have ever visited, it would no doubt in my mind be Paris. No question about it, no second thoughts, no place that comes even close to it. I had already visited with my family in 2008 but this trip, due to several reasons, made the city forever more magical for me. I will 100% definitely live there at some point in my life. I could walk around the streets for hours and hours and never get bored. This city has a very special place in my heart. I think one cannot truly understand it until you visit. So if you haven't, I don't know what you're waiting for. You're missing out.

 (FYI I take all my photos using my Canon 1000D I got around 3 years ago now)

And with that short(not as short as I planned but in but very very short in comparison to how much I could write about each place) review, I come to a close.

Second post done!!

I Hope you enjoyed my thoughts, and would love to hear about your travels, where you have been and your experiences with European cities. I am forever adding places to visit to my travelling list. I blame my parents for loving travelling so much themselves and therefore, passing it on to me. 

Lots of love,
Rosanna 

No comments:

Post a Comment